Thursday, 21 November 2013

Ridiculous Cravings

If any of you have been pregnant or currently are, you know what I'm talking about. Cravings, those things that wake you up in the middle of the night sometimes or hit right in the middle laundry time. Where you wake up your boyfriend/SO and shake him/her going "Babe, babe! Wake up, I want some [insert personal craving here - mine's McDonald's fries, McFlurry and a Double Big Mac]. Can you run and get some for me?"

Personally I don't eat fast food. I don't like the feel of the extra greasiness or the heavy, over-full feeling after, or the nasty upset stomach it gives me. But since week 8 I've been dying to eat those piping hot, salty fries mixed with the cold sweetness of the ice cream after gorging on a fatty, unhealthy hamburger. I sound like a crazy person. 

Being pregnant is a kind of crazy; I find. The extra production of hormones our bodies don't produce much of normally and that we don't have to deal with, it messes with our sanity on a certain level. From all my research, there isn't a solid explanation for pregnancy cravings, but what if cravings were your body's way of trying to cope with the sudden change in hormone levels with foods that sort of pacified or alleviated the feeling of total hiatus raging inside? Foods we don't necessarily eat on a regular basis, foods we didn't really like.. And that the aversions are just foods our bodies find will worsen or just not help the chemical imbalance? 

***

For anyone who followed my yummy fast food links above, sorry for making you hungry!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So let me know what you think! I want to know what you want me to talk about, I'll answer any questions and I'm not shy about any topic!