Monday, 25 November 2013

No Food

It is the last week of the month and there's almost no food in the house. Now usually I'd joke about how I ate it all and how I didn't leave any for anyone, but this time I'm pregnant and hungry and scared that I'm starving my baby. Oh and all I've eaten today is a mug of oatmeal and a smallish serving of beans. Not even beans and a side, just plain white beans, nothing else. And my boyfriend's mother is the one who's constantly reminding me that I'm carrying her first (and only) "grand-baby" and how I need to eat and take care of myself.

Really? She's going to tell me how I should take care of myself. Right. I know (as I find myself constantly repeating) she means well. But I find her lax housekeeping and - possibly - unconscious way of making sure I feel like I'm going to die, starve or be condemned to eating food that tastes like cardboard highly uncomfortable. My dear boyfriend isn't completely understanding why I find this place quite repulsive nor my (to his mind) "obsession" with washing your hands after going to the bathroom or scratching your butt/balls/other. Nor do I believe that he realizes fully that teeth rot if they aren't properly cared for and that bad breath is disgusting, but most people are too polite to point it out.

Clean nails, teeth, body, hair and clothes show self-respect and pride. Dirty nails, teeth, hair and clothes usually portray the opposite. The same goes for the state of your home. If it's clean it shows you have respect for yourself, others and it's inviting. If your home is dirty and doesn't smell very nice, people usually don't want to visit and the smell seeps into your clothes, your hair, everything; and obviously those who live there might not notice it if they're used to it.

Now, I'm not saying my boyfriend does these things, nor that I'm describing him. To be honest I might be guilty of one or two of these.... Probably two or three. I know that, but I make a huge effort to take good care of myself and where I live. What's not easy is living with someone who says they'll help you but don't.

And that's why sometimes I wonder if I should try a little harder to show him why living somewhere clean is so much better. It's not high-class to be clean, it's just what people do when they care. Plus living in a filthy, moldy environment with a baby is awful.

I don't know, but I'll try anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So let me know what you think! I want to know what you want me to talk about, I'll answer any questions and I'm not shy about any topic!