Finally my boyfriend settled on a date for us to move to our new place. The fourth day after Christmas is our moving day! It would have been the 28th but my mom wanted us to go visit them on that Saturday, so we're putting off moving until Sunday. Which is super nice of him to change the date because I haven't seen my family in almost a month. Or so it feels.
Right now I should be starting the grocery list for shopping Friday, but I really don't feel like starting it now. My dear boyfriend is going to help me finish the list when he gets home from work tonight around ten or eleven.
The whole point of my doing the groceries this rest of the month is to show his parents that shopping in the States is not any cheaper than it is here; it's all about smart shopping. Check what's on sale every week and buy most of your groceries from what's on sale. I like to check the store's website if it has one, (most do now), and if they pass out flyers in the area, check in there too. Sometimes the flyers have options the websites don't; like coupons or two-for-one or buy one get one free (cool part is that once in awhile the free item is on your list!). Also our IGA's have a seemingly year-round offer: buy over 75$ (I think) of groceries and get a certain item free with your purchase. Often it's juice or Kleenex or paper towels. I remember once for two weeks or a month they were offering free sandwich-type containers with a purchase of 75$ or more!!
Check and compare prices between supermarkets and look for the best deal for the quality you want. Obviously spending seven dollars on a head of lettuce that's wilted at the top appeals to no one. Watch for the one dollar, two dollar, three dollar sales if your grocery store has that. Sometimes Maxi's has the 1$, 2$, 3$, 4$ sales and I bought fifteen limes for four dollars, instead of three limes for five dollars.
An example from this week's shopping (because yes, talking about sales and saving really got me in the right mindset to go look online):
Whole Milk (3.25%):
IGA: 6.99$/4L
Metro: not on sale, full price not found on site
Giant Tiger: also not found on site
Because two of the grocery stores I chose don't have the prices on their sites, I can also check in their flyers or call the store to find out.
Right now I should be starting the grocery list for shopping Friday, but I really don't feel like starting it now. My dear boyfriend is going to help me finish the list when he gets home from work tonight around ten or eleven.
The whole point of my doing the groceries this rest of the month is to show his parents that shopping in the States is not any cheaper than it is here; it's all about smart shopping. Check what's on sale every week and buy most of your groceries from what's on sale. I like to check the store's website if it has one, (most do now), and if they pass out flyers in the area, check in there too. Sometimes the flyers have options the websites don't; like coupons or two-for-one or buy one get one free (cool part is that once in awhile the free item is on your list!). Also our IGA's have a seemingly year-round offer: buy over 75$ (I think) of groceries and get a certain item free with your purchase. Often it's juice or Kleenex or paper towels. I remember once for two weeks or a month they were offering free sandwich-type containers with a purchase of 75$ or more!!
Check and compare prices between supermarkets and look for the best deal for the quality you want. Obviously spending seven dollars on a head of lettuce that's wilted at the top appeals to no one. Watch for the one dollar, two dollar, three dollar sales if your grocery store has that. Sometimes Maxi's has the 1$, 2$, 3$, 4$ sales and I bought fifteen limes for four dollars, instead of three limes for five dollars.
An example from this week's shopping (because yes, talking about sales and saving really got me in the right mindset to go look online):
Whole Milk (3.25%):
IGA: 6.99$/4L
Metro: not on sale, full price not found on site
Giant Tiger: also not found on site
Because two of the grocery stores I chose don't have the prices on their sites, I can also check in their flyers or call the store to find out.
No comments:
Post a Comment
So let me know what you think! I want to know what you want me to talk about, I'll answer any questions and I'm not shy about any topic!